Foundation of Pen + Brush
In 1893, Miss Janet C. Lewis of New York, a painter, sent a letter to a number of female acquaintances proposing the establishment of a new group exclusively for women interested in pursuits of both art and literature. The purpose of this organization, as Lewis described, was to be for mutual improvement, advancement and social intercourse. The entity was to be called the “Pen and Brush.
“The founders of Pen and Brush planted the seeds of an open and mutually beneficial organization for women artists and writers.” – Janice Sands, Executive Director
The first official meeting of Pen and Brush was held in the Fifth Avenue Hotel on March 29, 1894.